The European Federation of Associations of Dietitians (EFAD) and its Specialist Networks (European Specialist Dietetic Networks – ESDNs) on Obesity and Diabetes are organising a free online webinar about sugar reduction and low/no calorie sweeteners in dietary practice, with a focus on obesity and diabetes, with the participation of five well-renowned and respected academics, expert scientists and dietitians from Europe and beyond. The webinar will take place on 7th October 2020, at 19h00 CEST.
The 1-hour webinar includes a rich and engaging scientific programme covering various topics regarding the science behind sugar reduction and low/no calorie sweeteners as well as a final session with live questions and answers from the speakers. The latest recommendations on sugars and sweeteners intake as well as sugar reduction policies in Europe will be discussed in the first part of the webinar by Prof Maria Hassapidou (Greece) and Prof Alison Gallagher (UK), respectively. The third presentation will feature a talk by Prof Anne Raben (Denmark) who will discuss the current evidence on the place/ role of sugars and low/no calorie sweeteners in different dietary patterns for diabetes. Finally, Dr. John L Sievenpiper (Canada), will close the set of talks by presenting the results of a new network meta-analysis study on the effect of low/no calorie sweeteners on cardiometabolic risk; this work is supported by the Diabetes and Nutrition Study Group of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and aims to inform the update of the EASD clinical practice guidelines for nutrition therapy. The webinar will be chaired by the two lead dietitians of the ESDNs on Obesity and Diabetes, Prof Maria Hassapidou (Greece) & Harris Dimosthenopoulos (Greece), respectively.
Sugar reduction and low/ no calorie sweeteners in dietary practice: the case of obesity and diabetes
Prof Maria Hassapidou, International Hellenic University, Greece, & Lead of EFAD’s ESDN on Obesity
Harris Dimosthenopoulos, MMedSci.SRD, Laiko General Hospital, Athens, Greece, & Lead of EFAD’s ESDN on Diabetes
- 19h00: Introduction by the chairs
- 19h05: Latest recommendations on sugars and sweeteners intake – implications for obesity and diabetes – Speaker: Prof Maria Hassapidou, International Hellenic University, Greece
- 19h15: Sugar reduction policies in Europe: a review of effective strategies – Speaker: Prof Alison Gallagher, Ulster University, UK
- 19h25: Do sugar or sweeteners have a place in different dietary patterns for diabetes? A closer look at the current evidence – Speaker: Prof Anne Raben, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- 19h35: Does substituting sugar with low/no calorie sweeteners improve cardiometabolic risk? – Speaker: Dr. John L Sievenpiper, University of Toronto, Canada
- 19h45: Q&As – Conclusions
You may find more information about the scientific programme and about how to register to attend live the EFAD ESDNs webinar on 7th October, 19h00 CEST, by visiting the webinar registration page here.
The webinar on “Sugar reduction and low/no calorie sweeteners in dietary practice: the case of obesity and diabetes” is supported by the International Sweeteners Association (ISA) while the organisation was directed by EFAD and its ESDNs on Obesity and Diabetes alone.